Monday, September 3, 2007

Braxton who?


T-minus two weeks and counting! I am at 38 weeks and could begin labor at any time. Tim and I are pretty excited .... well, Tim is very excited and I have moments of excitement, apprehension, fear, and joy. Honestly, is it the hormones or the pending life change that is causing my roller coaster? I couldn't tell you the answer to that question just yet!

Overall, I have been feeling OK. As many people know, the last weeks in pregnancy are notorious for being the "uncomfortable" times. My belly is bigger than ever - but it no more gets in the way now as it did before. Actually, it makes a very nice little shelf for holding my dinner plate, cereal bowl or in the case above, my drink! I do, however, require five pillows to get comfy in bed! I feel like a less graceful version of Cleopatra when surrounded by pillows on all sides! Tim complains that he has no room on our bed after his pregnant wife and all her pillows. I think that is a nice way of saying, "dang babe, you're getting big!!!"

Honestly, I have the same gripes as I did in my last post - nothing has really changed "comfort wise" - - mostly, my biggest gripe this week has been the heat. Last week, Tim's work held a baby shower for Tim and his co-worker, Sean. Sean's wife and son, Heather and Liam - and myself, all went up to Union Mine to attend the shower. It was so blazin' hot outside that you could have wrung the sweat out of my shirt ... I wanted to introduce myself saying: "Hi, my name is Jenn - I am Tim's sweaty wife!" ... The little Peanut inside of me is literally roasting and I feel like I could spontaneously catch fire at any moment! I am looking forward to this next week as the weather is supposed to cool slightly.

The biggest change from my last post is that I am now experiencing Braxton Hicks contractions. Braxton who, you might ask? Braxton Hicks contractions (named after an English doctor, John Braxton Hicks) can begin as early as the second trimester, however they are most common in the third trimester. The muscles of the uterus tighten for approximately 30 to 60 seconds or as long as 2 minutes. They are not painful; however, they leave me feeling poozy (poozy: meaning blah/schmeaa). Basically, Braxton Hicks are "practice contractions." One website claimed that Braxton Hicks could be brought on my an active baby .... that could possibly make sense as Peanut has been moving quite a bit as of late. It feels like my little Peanut has a mini-rolling pin inside my belly and is rolling it across my insides. Occasionally, I see parts of my belly protrude outward in a freakish-like motion. It is quite spectacular and I do believe it will be one part of pregnancy that I will miss!

I have included a few updated pictures of the nursery ... I believe it actually is complete! I have my 38 week appointment tomorrow and will post again if anything has changed!

I hope this finds you all doing well!
Love, Jenn

No comments: