Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Little squirt


Well, well, well .... our little squirt is FINALLY here! Life has definitely been a ride for this past week! Tim and I finally feel like we are hitting our "stride" with Mason. He has truly transformed our lives in the BEST way! We have a new meaning of love since Mason has arrived.

It all started one week ago .......

My water broke at about 3am on September 19th. Luckily, I was able to make it to the bathroom and avoided making a huge mess! We called Kaiser and they gave us instructions to proceed to the hospital. I did not actually start contracting until we were on our way to the hospital ... even now, I don't really like to call the pains I was feeling "contractions" because they were so mild. After being examined in triage, I was admitted into Kaiser's South Sacramento hospital. I felt very fortunate to "get a spot" because about 20 minutes after arriving, the labor and delivery unit became full!!

At this point, I was still feeling pretty good .. I told Tim that I should have brought my Billy Joel CD so I could get dancin' and start the process as the "contractions" I was experiencing were not strong. Around 7:30am the nurses came in and said it was time to check to see how dilated I was. I had to be 2 centimeters dilated before the anesthesiologist could administer the epidural. Well, I thought that process was uncomfortable before - - let me tell you, I would have rather broken my leg again than experience the pain I did when the nurse checked me. My cervix was pointed the wrong direction so the nurse had to stick her whole hand in to determine my dilation. Tim said that if the nurse was wearing a watch that my va-jay-jay would have known what time it was. It truly was the most pain I experienced throughout the entire process. The nurse determined that I was two centimeters (yeah!). The "catch" at this time was that I had not really progressed as fast as I needed to be progressing .... the "P" word was discussed (petocin / a.k.a. labor-inducing drug from hell) and it was determined that I would be checked again in another two hours to see how dilated I was - the idea was that my contractions would come stronger and allow me to dilate further and avoid petocin.

Well, what ever rootin' around the nurse did completely kick-started my labor. It was at this time that my contractions TRULY began. I tried walking around the ward, but barely made it full circle back to my room. My contractions started coming two minutes apart and were lasting one minute each. My contractions were mostly felt in my back (commonly referred to as back-labor) and were very unpleasant. The part that really sucked was that I was third in line for the epidural and one of the anesthesiologists was in an emergency C-section - I was informed that it would be an hour and a half before I could get the juice. In order to help relieve some of the pain, I got into the shower and labored for about 45 minutes under the steaming, sauna conditions. The shower was nice because it helped relax my contorting back muscles. Tim was in the bathroom with me and was awesome in helping me through the contractions. His coaching skills truly were an asset through the entire process. I had wonderful support from all who were with me through my labor.

Finally, the moment came for the epidural. I had to sit still through two contractions while they inserted the "pointy straw" into my back. The nurses were actually more concerned about Tim because of the look on his face when he saw the needle. His forehead started to get all blotchy and he looked like he was going to pass out. Tim hates needles with the fury of a thousand suns (yet he still manages to donate platelets and plasma on a regular basis - ironic). Anyhow, after a few minutes, the juice kicked in and I once again, felt like a human being. I seem to recall telling the nurses and the anesthesiologist that "I loved them" like I was a drunk college student!

After the epidural, my contractions were a fleeting memory. I would have to ask others in the room if I was even having one! There was a computer monitoring my contractions and the baby's heart beat. Everyone was pretty relaxed at this point - Tim, Scott, Crystal, and Marge were all playing cards, Liz was reading a magazine and my momma was massaging my feet. It seemed like a peechy-keen Sunday to me!

Around 2pm the nurses came back in and said it was time to check my dilation. I did not bat an eyelash at this point as my lower body was delightfully numb from the juice. Everyone was kicked out of the room and I once again, lost my dignity on the birthing table. It was determined that I was 9 1/2 centimeters dilated and that it was getting close to pushin'-time. One of the doctors commented to the nurse that she needed to have my petocin turned down as my contractions were coming too fast. The nurse found it quite humorous to inform the doctor that I was not, in fact, on petocin and that my contractions were of my own making!

I started pushing around 3pm. Tim, my mom, and Marge were in the room with me. Again, Tim was the best coach one could ask for. It was quite funny because as he would count, his voice would strain like he was doing the pushing with me! As he counted up, the strain in his voice augmented. The midwife had to ask him to slow down his counting at one point because he started to get excited and count too fast! We welcomed our little Mason Brown into the world at 4:21pm.

The nurse put Mason on my chest and it was the most magical experience. Mason had his head turned toward me ... he opened his eyes, looked at me, and smiled! Yes, the smile could have very well been his first gas fart ... but he really did smile. We discovered at that moment that he has a little dimple on his right cheek. I was instantly overcome with emotion and started to cry. It was the happiest moment I have yet to experience in my life. I told Tim that marrying him came a close second - he thanked me for "throwing him a bone." It is true what they say, one does not know how deeply they can love until they have a child.

As I was being sewed up (I had a 2nd degree tear), Tim went out and announced to everyone in the waiting room that our little Mason had arrived! It was his proud-papa moment :o)

Tim, Mason and I stayed at the hospital until about 3pm the next afternoon. Mason passed all his tests with flying colors (our little over achiever). He ended up being 8 pounds, 3 ounces and 20 1/2 inches long. We have had a little bout with jaundice since he has been home; however, the doctor is monitoring it and he is on his way back to normal levels.

We are adapting to a new life at home with our little one. The first couple days were trying, but we made it through. Last night was our first night were Mason slept pretty soundly in the bassinet. He woke up every two to three hours for feeding, but did well overall.
Anyhow, I would like to take a moment to thank everyone for their support through my pregnancy and post-partum days. Tim and I feel incredibly blessed to have such a wonderful support group in all our family, friends and co-workers.

I will try to post little progress reports in the coming weeks. Mason has already started to change and I just can't believe how fast time flies by! I have included a link to the Kodak gallery site. You are all welcome to view pictures (and I believe you can order prints from the site as well). There are many pictures, so you may need a few minutes!! You can visit the site by clicking on the following link:


Well, Mason is sleeping soundly (for now) in his bassinet, but he has a wet diaper that I need to change!

Hugs to all!
Jenn, Tim and Mason

2 comments:

Katie said...

You are a beautiful family! Congratulations! I am so impressed that you found time in the first week to blog. It took me eight weeks and going back to work to find time for it.

Angel said...

Awesome! I loved the blog (I check throughout the day, you know, waiting for one!!) and the pictures are great! Keep them coming! Can't wait to see you this weekend and meet Mason :)
Love,
Angel :)

P.S....I love the picure with one of the onesies I got him...."Party in my Crib...2 a.m.!!!!" hahaaaa