Monday, March 5, 2007

Loving the microphone




Today marked one of many prenatal appointments to come. When I showed up at Kaiser, I expected to have another ultrasound completed. As of yesterday, I had yet to receive a due date from the doctors and I was absolutely sure they were going to need to do another ultrasound to determine my day-o-birthing! Well, much to my disappointment no ultrasound was performed. The assistant notified me that through a collective vote, the nurse practitioner and the doctor decided my due date was going to be September 29th (I wonder if they ro-cham-boed for that date). Like a pouty little kid, I asked the medical assistant if there was any way I could still hear the heart beat. She assured me that the doctor should be able to pick up the heart beat on her "monitor." I can't remember the official name of the "monitor" but it was some type of microphone devise they rub on my growing belly that picks up internal sounds and projects them through a small speaker.

Well, the doctor came in and did her normal poking and prodding. Although she was quick and efficient, (and many women can sympathize with me here) I wasn't entirely comfortable in my "compromising position" . Men, take your arms and hold them like Praying mantis legs - you will then see what I mean by "compromising position" ... and I digress. Back to my story - after the poking and prodding, the doctor whipped out the handy-dandy microphone. She squired the COLD GOO on my tummy (someone please invent an warmer for that stuff) which almost made me jump off the table. She started to rub the devise over my tummy, I was slightly afraid I would have a gas gurgle that project sounds resembling a cave monster .... but all of a sudden we heard it .. "swish swoosh swish swoosh" .. I have to say, it was one of the most incredible sounds I have ever heard. Yes, I got teary-eyed and I get a little teary-eyed just writing about it now! How could I not be emotional?! It was the life beat of our peanut! Anyhow, the initial disappointment of no ultrasound immediately disappeared.

After leaving the hospital, Tim and I grabbed a celebratory cup of Starbucks. We clicked our paper cups, gave each other a kiss, and floated on a cloud for the rest of the day.

Yup, I was loving the microphone!

I hope everyone is well!
Love to all,
Jenn

P.S. Don't forget to Spring forward this Sunday, set your clocks one hour ahead!

2 comments:

Angel said...

O.k...I created an account just so I can start leaving you comments!

First...that is so exciting! I remember all of those appts....amazing!

Secondly...you need to tell your doctor's office that you want the warm GOO! They do have it! They are just not using it! I never got the cold GOO...it was always nice and warm and made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside...haha

Lastly...I'm so happy for you both! I'm happy to be able to see you grow (haha...literally!) and be your friend during this amazing time!
YEAH! That was a long comment, huh? :)
Angel :)

crystalthorns said...

I too am so happy for you both. I can't wait to see more pictures of you getting your cute baby tummy!!! I agree with Angel, I too had the warm goo and you really should ask for the warm stuff next time. See you soon! Love always,
Auntie Crystal