Friday, July 27, 2007

eating Oreos on the couch

Well, its official - I am now on maternity leave. My hernia (or "hyenia" as I call it in honor of Long Duck Dong from Sixteen Candles) has progressively gotten worse and more uncomfortable.


The Doctor diagnosed it as an inguinal hernia. The condition is more common in men, but is not abnormal to be found affecting pregnant women. The occurrence of this condition in pregnant women is 1 in 1,000 according to the Mayo Clinic. One of the concerns of this condition is strangulation of the intestine (reduced blood flow causing the tissue to die), or when a loop of intestine becomes trapped in the weak point in the abdominal wall which may obstruct the bowel, leading to severe pain, nausea, vomiting and the inability to have a bowel movement or pass gas. WELL, for those of you that know me ... there are no problems with the bowel movements or passing gas! LOL! I guess that is a VERY good sign! I was only able to find a picture of what this condition looks like in males (i.e. sketchings of male anatomy affected by the condition). Honestly, I didn't really feel like posting a picture of male anatomy on my little site ... but if you have a morbid curiosity, you can "google" the condition. The Mayo Clinic website is quite informative!

Anyhow, so the next couple of weeks I am going to have to find stuff to occupy my time. I am going to have to resist the urge to park my behind on the couch and eat Oreos all day! Actually, I am trying to be good and swim each day and I have made a list of items to accomplish for when I start to feel bored.

Anyhow, I just wanted to give ya'll a little update. I will have pictures next time as the family is going camping this weekend :o)

Ciao -
Jenn

No comments: